Vitiligo is one among many autoimmune disorders. With an autoimmune disorder, the immune system has become confused. It sees the healthy tissue of the body as a foreign substance that it must protect you against. It then attacks this ‘foreign’ tissue. In the case of vitiligo, it attacks the cells that produce skin color – melanocytes. When this occurs, the melanocytes cease to function properly. The result is white spots and patches indicative of vitiligo. Unfortunately, western dermatology treatment is not very effective, since it does not treat the root cause – the immune system. The good news is that Chinese herbal medicine is very effective in balancing the body and treating vitiligo.
Vitiligo, from a Chinese Medicine Perspective
For those who are not familiar with Chinese medicine, here is a little bit of background information: according to Traditional Chinese medicine theory, there are 5 elements of nature: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, and Water. Each of these elements corresponds to a different season, as well as a different internal organ of the body.
- Wood – Spring – Liver – Green
- Fire – Summer – Heart – Red
- Earth – Late Summer – Spleen – Yellow
- Metal – Fall – Lungs – White
- Water – Winter – Kidneys – Black
The Water element is associated with Wintertime, as well as with the Kidneys. Vitiligo is usually in remission in the winter months, so now is a great time to begin or continue herbal vitiligo treatment. One way to support the herbal vitiligo treatment is to take care of your kidneys. In Chinese medicine, the Kidneys are in charge of the immune system. When your Kidney Qi (vital life force energy) is not functioning optimally, your immune system will be out of balance. The Spleen also plays a role in immune system function, but the Kidneys are the chief in charge.
Vitiligo and the Immune System
In order to manage vitiligo effectively, you need to balance your immune system. Merry Clinic’s Vitilax herbal capsules help to improve your immune system and support Kidney and Spleen energy in order to restore skin pigmentation. The Vitinutrient tablets contain nutrients which are commonly deficient in people who have vitiligo. The Vitilax herbal skin oil will stimulate the melanocytes of the skin to start working again.
Self-Care Tips for Vitiligo
In addition to the treatments mentioned above, there are many self-care methods that you can do at home to help to heal your vitiligo:
- Make sure you get enough sleep, at least 7 to 8 hours per night. The best time of night to sleep is from 11 pm to 7 am. Sleep will help to restore your Kidney Qi.
- Eat foods that have a black or very dark color, such as black sesame seeds, beets, walnuts, etc. Black is the color associated with the Kidneys, and traditionally, dark-colored foods are known to be beneficial for Kidney Qi.
- Protect your lower back and keep it warm – this is the center of your Kidney Qi
- Keep stress under control, by doing yoga, tai chi, or any type of gentle exercise
Chinese herbal medicine is holistic medicine. The more you do to take care of your health, the sooner your vitiligo condition will improve.